The parish of Waldneukirchen is an agricultural parish at the foot of the Alps which is of importance as a trading centre. From the river terrace of the Steyr the flysch terrain rises in gentle slopes to the centre of the town, which lies 443m above sea level. The highest point is at 569m above sea level, from which there is a magnificent panoramic view over the Steyr valley, the Totes Gebirge mountain range and the foothills of the Alps.
An exceptional amount of clubs and societies shape this town, where everyone knows each other personally as they meet after church, and there is still a good sense of community and neighbourly help. The distinctive and renovated presbytery with its parish hall, public library and youth centre is a pillar of community life. Many lovingly carved wayside shrines and crosses, house inscriptions, chapels and farms with orchards shape the landscape. In the agricultural establishments healthy food is produced to organic or almost organic standards. The quiet residential areas and the convenient transport connections between Steyr and Bad Hall have made this parish into a well-loved and family friendly place.
Natural monument Hohe Linde (1000 year old linden tree): view over the Steyr Valley and the foothills of the Alps to the Mühlviertel.
Steyr Valley museums train: Length: 17km, oldest 760mm narrow gauge railway in Austria (opened in 1889). It was rescued by the >>Austrian Society for Railway History (ÖGEG)<< and is operated according to the ideals of this society. The line goes from Steyr through the wetland meadows of the Steyr Valley to the end of the line in Grünburg, which is part of the parish of Waldneukirchen.
St. Peter and Paul’s parish church: onion tower, first mentioned in documents in 1270 as an independent parish in 1337, an affiliated parish of Sierning, bell from around 1400, neo-gothic winged altar designed by the brothers Johann and Josef Rint.
Football ground, curling hall, gym, tennis courts, adventure play area, fun court, start of the Steyr Valley cycle path.
443 m ASLElevation
48.00, 14.26GPS coordinates