© Foto Oberösterreich Tourismus GmbH/Robert Maybach: Schneeschuwandern im Mühlviertel in der Nähe von Bad Zell.

Travel information

Important information for your holiday in Upper Austria. What you need to know when you spend your holiday in Upper Austria: entry requirements, regulations for motorists and important telephone numbers.


Entry requirements

Austria is a member of the European Union and the Schengen Agreement. At the borders between Schengen member states, there are no border controls. However, carrying an identification document is compulsory. Even children require travel documents!

1 euro = 100 cents

Country code


Import regulations

Among EU member states, there is free movement of goods. Tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, however, can only be imported duty-free with your personal luggage in such quantities which qualify for personal use. The following quantities must not be exceeded:

  • 800 cigarettes
  • 400 cigarillos
  • 200 cigars
  • 1 kilogram tobacco
  • 10 litres of spirits
  • 90 litres of wine; this includes a maximum of 60 litres of sparkling wine
  • 110 litres of beer
  • 20 litres of other alcoholic beverages with less than 22 % vol.

The following goods can be imported into Austria from non-EU countries with your personal luggage for personal use or as presents:

  •  200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250 grams tobacco
  • 1 litre of alcohol and alcoholic beverages with an alcoholic content of more than 22 % vol or 2 litres of alcohol and alcoholic beverages with a maximum alcoholic content of 22 % vol.
  • 4 litres of non-sparkling wine
  • 16 litres of beer
  • medication in a quantity not exceeding the amount needed for personal use
  • other goods up to a total of 300 euros or 430 euros for air passengers are duty-free
More information


For motorists

The speed limit for cars and motorcycles is 130 km/h on motorways, 100 km/h on country roads and 50 km/h in towns. It is compulsory for all car occupants to wear a seat belt and for motorcyclists to wear a helmet. For children, the use of a child’s safety seat in accordance with their age and height is compulsory. All motorways and highways are toll roads. Motorists can choose between a 10-day, 2-month or annual vignette (toll disc). Toll discs are available at service stations, post offices, tobacconists and the automobile associations ÖAMTC and ARBÖ. The formation of emergency corridors is required on motorways and highways in the event of a traffic jam. For drivers, the maximum legal blood alcohol content permitted is 0.5 mg/ml. When driving in wintry road conditions, winter tyres are compulsory from 1 November to 15 April.



An EU pet passport is required for dogs, cats and ferrets providing proof of a valid anti-rabies vaccination. In addition, all animals must be fitted with a microchip for identification purposes. Other pets, such as rodents, may travel without health certificates. Animal owners are, however, responsible for preventing the spread of animal epidemics.

More information


Doctors and pharmacies

Doctors and pharmacies can be found in all larger towns, municipalities and cities. Pharmacies take turns in providing night and weekend services. Hospitals form the backbone of stationary medical care in almost all district capitals in Upper Austria.

Important telephone numbers:
European emergency number: 112
Fire brigade: 122
Police: 133
Rescue: 144
Emergency doctor: 141
Mountain rescue: 140
ÖAMTC roadside assistance: 120
ARBÖ roadside assistance: 123