The Linz castle is first documented in 799.
It was entirely rebuilt in 1477 by Emperor Friedrich III, and there are partial remains of the defensive walls, the bastions and the west entrance (Friedrichstor). The latter is adorned by a stone coat-of-arms (1481) bearing the inscription "AEIOU" ("The whole world is subject to Austria") and the imperial initials. Around 1600, during the rule of Rudolph II, the castle was redesigned and expanded according to plans by the Dutch master builder Anton Muys. The powerful four-storey block with two inner courtyards and the main gate to the city (Rudolfstor 1604) date from this time.
During the Napoleonic wars the building served as a military hospital, and it was here that the great city fire of 1800 broke out (destruction of the south wing and a part of the transept). Beginning in 1811, the remaining buildings were used as the provincial prison and from 1851 until 1945 as a barracks. Between 1953 and 1963, the fortress was rebuilt and restored as the Upper Austrian Castle Museum.
It contains permanent exhibitions of art from the Middle Ages to the present day, historical weapons and musical instruments, coins, folklore and technical history, as well as the Kastner collection. There are special exhibitions each year.
Homepage Schlossmuseum Linz: www.schlossmuseum.at
The most important objects relating to the art and cultural history of Upper Austria are shown in the renaissance building of the Linz Castle. Special focal points are collections of Gothic art and paintings from the 19th century, objects from the popular culture of...