© Photo: Oberösterreich Tourismus GmbH./Robert Maybach: Enjoy the view in Upper Austria
Enjoy the view in Upper Austria

Salt Workers House

Gmunden, Oberösterreich, Österreich
Dating from the 16th century. From 1819 imperial post office from 1859 hat makers family Haas A first building was situated at this point as early as 1000 years ago. It was the 21st building in town. The present building exists since the 16th century. In its long history it was a town house, a salt workers house, hostel and post office. From 1593 a hostel for linin weavers was to be found here. From 1819 the post master family Auinger and from 1859 the hat maker family Haas owned the house. The Haas family established their business in 1852 in the Linzer Road. The first proprietor of the business was Michael Haas born in Gmunden. He bought the building at Kammerhofgasse 3 in 1859 and installed a hat maker´s workshop. From this point on the business was successful. A highlight in 1858 was when the hat maker Haas was commissioned to develop and produce a hat for Duke Ernst August and his entourage. The result was the original Cumberland hat. The hat maker Haas became famous for its production. A real Gmunden treasure is the arcade courtyard belonging to Haas hat makers. The Haas family specially decorates this courtyard from the end of November to the middle of January and makes it accessible to the public. In the throughway to the courtyard are display cabinets with grand old hats. On the last Friday before Christmas at 18:15 hours Christmas carols are sung from the arcades in the courtyard, a 45 year old tradition.
Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers

Please get in touch for more information.


Salt Workers House
Kammerhofgasse 3
4810 Gmunden

We speak the following languages


powered by TOURDATA