The Schafberg summit has been easily accessible since 1893 thanks to the cogwheel railway, and the hotel and hut provide food and accommodation.
There was no summit cross until the 80s. The population came up with the suggestion to build one there. Herbert Meindl made a 4.5-meter-high larch cross and decorated it with the inscription: "Many paths lead to God, one of them over the mountains." For a week, the cross was placed on the church square, before it was on September 27, 1981 Inaugurated on the occasion of a mountain fair.
5 years later it was the victim of a lightning bolt. Countess Ruth Almeida donated larch wood for a new cross. August Meindl and his son Herbert built it and it was inaugurated on 31 August 1986 as part of the mountain fair.1)
The Himmelspfortensteig was built in 1884. Also on this way several memorial sites remind of mountain accidents.
1.) see. Archive of the Mondsee section of the PES