SR Mayrhofer calls the Lake Chapel "... as one that stands out for its construction, its furnishings and its special location and is one of those built on former pilgrimage routes.11)
"... Like the Hochkreuz chapel, it lies on the path of countless pilgrims who have been making pilgrimages from Bavaria to our region since the 13th century, most of them to St. Wolfgang. The heyday of pilgrimage coincided exactly with the heyday of our monastery and thus of the place: the century from 1420 to 1520 and the half century from 1720 to 1770. Next to the sea chapel, most of the pilgrims boarded the ship and continued their journey. The land route to Scharfling was only expanded in 1820. Many people from the catchment area of the monastery also made a pilgrimage to the places of worship of St. Konrad.
The time of origin of the Lake chapel is unknown. On the oldest engravings a chapel is already drawn in its place. The chapel was rebuilt in 1748 under Abbot Bernhard Lidl on the occasion of the 1000th anniversary of the existence of the monastery Mondsee. The chapel is dedicated to three saints: St. Wolfgang, Bl. Konrad and St. John Nepomuk.
The three large paintings show scenes from their lives: The murder of Abbot Konrad (left), Bishop Wolfgang at the discovery of the spring (right), John Nepomuk takes the confession of the Countess and overthrow of John Nepomuk from the bridge in the Vltava ( East Side). In front of the two-part middle picture is a life-size statue of St. John Nepomuk, holding a large wooden cross. Above it hovers a golden shell. 12)
Renovations were necessary several times. The figure was made in 1900 by Hr. A. Windhager renovated, a re-shingling of the roof was made according to inscription in the roof work 1913:, Georg Russbach, Mathias Graf, Alois Haslinger, Mathias Strobl - covered on 1, 3 and 4 July 1913 in bad weather'.13)
A significant change was necessary in the 60s, when the Attersee federal highway was built. The new street level is higher than the old street. The chapel floor was raised higher. The change caused the chapel grid to no longer conform to the arch.
After the renovation 1965 Lake chapel 2005
In June 1978, SR Franz Mayrhofer addressed a letter to the community, pointing out the poor condition of the chapel and its significance for the lunar zealand. In 1979, the renovation started. The costs were shared between the parish and the parish. "On 1 August 1986, the inauguration took place after completion of the elaborate work. Count Rudolph Almeida, who at the time was still in possession of the chapel, donated land to the municipality of Mondsee in 1987 on the lake. a. also the plot on which the chapel stands. "14 Thus, the market town of Mondsee became the owner of the chapel.
A thorough renovation was made in 2005. The original entrance steps and some floor slabs were exposed about 35 cm below the existing floor. For the completion of the missing floor tiles Mr. Asamer provided sandstone slabs from the historical cellar of the castle.
The wrought iron grid had to be modified in the round bottom area. According to the original coloring, the chapel was painted white again, the ribs yellow. Statue and pictures were renovated. End of May 2005, the renovation was completed. In August, the renovated Nepomukstern was also re-installed. In September 2005, Alois Ebner, who was in charge of the construction work, handed over the key of the chapel to Frau Helene Schobesberger, head of the gold hood group Mondsee. Mrs. Roswitha Mamoser took care of the chapel for the group.