The Deutsch Villa, an art centre on Lake Wolfgangsee, is an association promoting contemporary art. Intended as a a cultural initiative, this non-profitable organisation presents modern art in the ambience of the Deutsch Villa in Strobl.
This distinctive building, tucked away in Strobl am Wolfgangsee, is surrounded by wonderful parkland and is reachable by car via the senior citizens’ residential establishment.
A building that reflects the changing history of this region.
The Villa was built in 1896 by George Schinteliffe-Blacky in the Tuscan style and in 1924, it became the property of the Deutsch family who, after buying it, restyled it and made it their summer residence. In 1942 the building was seen as Jewish property and was consequently taken over by the government to be used as a training school for the BDM (a German girls’ association).
After the war, the property was reinstated and used as a casino during the time of the American occupation.
Until the 1980s the Villa belonged to Vienna University and was used as holiday apartments and a residential centre for further education. This historic building was then bought by the Parish of Strobl and saved from demolition. Thanks to the "Kulturvereins Deutschvilla" (the Deutsch Villa Cultural Association) it is now a listed building and a venue for the promotion and exhibition of modern art.