The simple and high building with the saddle roof was built in 1624 as a church for the Capuchin monks. This building was used as a store room for guns, and in the 19th century as a slaughterhouse for Braunau´s butchers.
In the year 1853, the City Theatre was accommodated in this building, which was, for the next 100 years, scene for Braunau´s theatre company and various travelling theatres. Between 1939 and 1946, Braunau´s City Theatre was "Landesbühne" of Upper Austria, until it had to be closed because it was dilapidated. After a thorough renovation, it was reopened on the occasion of the Upper Austrian "Landesausstellung" in 1979.
Today the theater is closed due to new fire regulations.