Seisenburg Castle first appeared in a document dated 1329.
Seisenburg Castle was owned by the Dukes of Austria until 1518 and was then sold several times. The Count Engel zu Wagrein, who purchased the castle in 1619, had it rebuilt in Renaissance style in the course of the 17th century. Since the Seisenburg could not be refurbished in the 1940s due to a financial crisis, the castle gradually went to ruins over the past few decades. Today, a team of dedicated preservationists are eagerly working on the renovation of what has been left of the once so mighty castle, in order to preserve it for the generations to come.