Kremsmünster Abbey Winery
Fine wines from their own Vineyards in the Wachau, Burgenland and Styria are filled and stored in Kremsmünster Abbey winery.
In recent years the quality of bottled wine has been improved. The winery has received two awards. At the AWC Vienna in 2006 – the second largest international wine competition – eight of the nine wines submitted received a price (1x gold, 6x silver, and 1x seal of approval) and in the first Upper Austrian wine competition held by The European Knighthood of the Wine, the Kremsmünster abbey winery was amongst the winners.
The Wine Cellar under the Meierhof
Visitors who go through the main entrance of the abbey find themselves in the Outer Courtyard. This is not really a proper courtyard but a rectangle that goes through the space between two mighty squares, which make up the upper and the lower (east and west) Meierhof. This courtyard is a result of the work of the baroque architects Carlo Antonio Carlone (1690 bridge gate) and Jakob Prandtauer (1713-1723, Meierhöfe).
A spacious vaulted cellar was built under the western Meierhof, which today still serve as the vaulted cellar of the winery and abbey’s wines still mature in Prandtauer’s vaults.
Kremsmünster Abbey Winery Stift 1
Phone +43 7583 5275 - 218
Pater Siegfried Eder