After the tolerance patent of Josef II (1781) had been declared, a protestant congregation was established in Wels. In 1784 the emperor allocated the St. Georg’s chapel to the protestants.
The Church of Crist was built between 1849 and 1852, according to the plans of the Nuremberg curator Prof. Karl von Heideloff in neo-gothic style. As the first protestant house of prayer in Austria, a 60 m high bell tower was built in 1860 with ringing as a sign of the equality with the Catholics.
For further information, please contact archive of the city of Wels
Magistrat der Stadt Wels, Stadtarchiv
+43 7242 235-7680