The parish church first appeared in historical documents of Passau´s Bishop Reginmar in 1122.
Around 600 St. Peter am Wimberg already had a small church made of wood. It was replaced by a stone building at the beginning of the 12th century.
Additionally, St. Peter am Wimberg has two affiliated churches in St. Anna in Steinbruch and in St. Georg am Hollerberg.
The parish church of St. Peter am Wimberg was recently renovated (March 2000 - March 2002).