St. Mary's Parish Church
- Suitable for groups
The foundations of Roman origin lie under the first Christian Chapel appearing in historical documents in the 4th century.
The magic of this place was probably discovered by the Celtic tribes. Much later (2000 years ago) the Romans knew it as a place of worship.
As many other buildings of the 8th century the church is mainly made of wood. During the 10th century some significant Romanesque details were added, for example a higher nave, a larger transept and a smaller aisle. In the course of late Gothic renovation works a pointed arch, a vault construction, an oratory and a Gothic tower were built. Between 1649 and 1685 the appearance of the church was changed again by introducing Baroque elements. Only the pointed church tower and some windows remind of the Gothic period.
A fire destroyed important parts of the church and the walls in 1774, causing a renovation of the entire building. Anton Kirchgrabner, an architect from Munich, rebuilt the transept and remodeled the interior in Classical style. The number of altars has been reduced from thirteen to eight.