This lovely Moated Castle dates back to the 9th century. Since the year 1850, it has housed the district´s courts.
Its foundation probably is connected with the Counts of Wesen (by the 1150s). Over the centuries, several notable people have owned or been linked with it. Held by the Lower Austrian Waldecker Dynasty from 1300 onwards, the castle was then granted to Göring Waldecker from Upper Bavaria.
From 1387 to 1443, Raab Castle was owned by Aichberg Dynasty, from 1444 to 1494 by Meßenpeck Dynasty and then by Friedrich Mautner of Katzenberg who possesed it until 1496.
The list of owners includes Duke George of Upper Bavaria and the bishops of Chiemsee. In 1779, Bavaria ceded the terrotory of Raab to Austria. The last private owner was Duke Arco-Valley.