© Photo: Oberösterreich Tourismus GmbH./Robert Maybach: Enjoy the view in Upper Austria
Enjoy the view in Upper Austria
Search
Search
Close

Pfarrkiche Sankt Michael

Hohenzell, Oberösterreich, Österreich
It was probably built between the 7th and 9th centuries from a missionary cell of a Rupertus messenger. It was initially a wooden building and was only converted into a Romanesque stone building in the 12th century. In later times, the Romanesque forms had to give way to the old German pointed arch style during further remodelling.
In 1685, a side chapel with a small entrance hall was added in order to gain more space. A bell tower with a pointed roof was also built on the south side. Until this time, the church only had a ridge turret (= small tower on the roof ridge).
In 1853, the tower was given a lantern dome, which was destroyed by a storm in 1929 and rebuilt in the same form in 1931 by Bortenschlager from Aurolzmünster.
In 1780, the Gothic ribs on the vault and the tracery on the pointed arch windows were knocked down and the windows were bevelled at the top.
The old altars in honour of St. Michael, St. Florinus, St. James and St. Wolfgang and St. Mary were removed and four new Renaissance altars were erected.
In 1882, two altars were removed again in order to gain some seats.
The sculptures were made by Schwanthaler, Diez and Strobl.
Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers

Please get in touch for more information.

Contact


Pfarrkiche Sankt Michael
Hofmark 20
4921 Hohenzell

We speak the following languages

German

powered by TOURDATA