DACHSTEIN CIRCUIT The Classic - 9 nights
July 1st - October 2nd, 2022
The Classic - 10 days / 9 nights - Hiking without luggage!
“World heritage region”: the mighty Dachstein – 2995 meters high – has been decorated with this award in 1997. The impressive mountain landscape along with Hallstatt and the region Dachstein Salzkammergut were named world heritage region by UNESCO.
Requirements and general information
The tour mainly covers alpine terrain. You will need appropriate mountain equipment and basic stamina. Necessary mountain equipment: ankle-high boots, functional clothes, rucksack, food and water, rain and sun protection, first-aid kit, mobile phone, possibly hiking sticks,…Your route is recorded for posterity when you enter your name in every hut logbook in the Dachstein Mountains. The routes are well signposted, although the signs could partly be covered by snow. Hence, it is imperative that you take your maps and the Dachstein hiking book with you. An experienced guide is available to accompany you upon request.
The carrying out of the tour is dependent on weather conditions! Alternative walking routes are always possible.
- 9 nights
- Luggage transfer included
- 9 x Overnight stay with alpine breakfast (5 x ***inns/hotels, 4 x in huts – double rooms or communal bunks, sleeping bags mandatory)
- 1 x welcome video with explanations and information that you need for the tour
- 1 x Ascent with the cable car “Gosaukammbahn” to Zwieselalm
- 1 x Schladming-Dachstein Summer Card (= ticket for the Dachstein-Gletscherbahn cable car)
- 1 x Train ticket Bad Mitterndorf/ Pichl Kainisch to Bad Aussee
- 1 x Boat trip from Obertraun to Hallstatt
- 1 x Ferry ride from Hallstatt market to Hallstatt train station
- 1 x Hiking map (1 x per room)
- 1 x Dachstein guide-book (1 x per room)
- 5 x Luggage transfer - max. 2 pcs./person and max. 25 kg/piece of luggage
- Daily service hotline from 08.00 – 18.00 (also on weekends)
- A tree for your booking – we plant a tree for your booking
1st Day: Individual arrival in Gosau right next to the Dachstein mountain range.
Overnight stay in Gosau.
2nd Day: Cable car from the Gosausee Lake to the Zwieselalm, hike to the Hofpuergl lodge
~10 km, 4-5 hrs, altitude difference á 850 m / â860 m
Overnight stay at the Hofpuergl lodge.
Luggage transfer from Gosau to the Ramsau where you spend the following night (overnight backpack and sleeping bag for the night at the Hofpuergl lodge have to be carried by yourself!)
3rd Day: High altitude hike from the Hofpuergl lodge to the Suedwand lodge, descent to the Tuerlwand.
~12,5 km, 6 hrs, altitude difference á895 m / â882 m
Overnight stay in Ramsau under Mount Dachstein.
4th Day: Enjoy a well-deserved relaxed day in Ramsau.
Use the Schladming-Dachstein Summer Card to explore the region around the Dachstein. Second overnight stay in Ramsau under Mount Dachstein.
5th Day: Cable car to the Dachstein glacier – alpine hike on route 674 to Guttenberg lodge
~9,5 km, 4-5 hrs, altitude difference á264 m / â861 m
(Alternative route through the valley to Guttenberg lodge if weather conditions are not stable.)
Overnight stay at the Guttenberg lodge
Luggage transfer from Ramsau to Groebming where you spend the following night (Overnight backpack and sleeping bag for the night at the Guttenberg lodge have to be carried by yourself)
ATTENTION: If you decide to take the route via the Dachstein Glacier it is very important to make a reservation for your gondola ride here: www.derdachstein.at/en - at minimum 1 week in advance. Otherwise the gondola could be fully booked.
For the reservation guests are responsible for themselves.
6th Day: High altitude hike from Guttenberg lodge over the plateau “Am Stein” and Grafenbergalm to the Stoderzinken. ~13 km, 6 hrs, altitude difference á 552 m / â860 m
Overnight stay at the Steiner Haus above Groebming.
7th Day: Hike from the Stoderzinken past the Notgasse (rock gorge with up to 2000 year old chiselled rock art) to the Viehbergalm and further over the Hochmuehleck to the Steinitzenalm. Descent to Bad Mitterndorf
~22 km, 7 hrs, altitude difference á 627 m / â1590 m
Overnight stay at Bad Mitterndorf
Luggage transfer from Groebming to Bad Mitterndorf
8th Day: By train from Bad Mitterndorf to Bad Aussee. Hike through the Koppen valley along the Traun River to Obertraun and to the train station of Hallstatt. We recommend a visit of the Koppenbrüller Cave in this area. Ferry ride to Hallstatt.
~15 km, 4-5 hrs, altitude difference á166 m / â286 m
Overnight stay in Hallstatt
Luggage transfer from Bad Mitterndorf to Hallstatt
9th Day: Take the ferry from Hallstatt market to Hallstatt train station. You hike along the eastern lake shore of Lake Hallstaettersee to Au and further on to Bad Goisern. Ascent to Goiserer lodge via Trockentannalm.
Overnight stay in Goiserer lodge.
~17 km, 7 hrs, altitude difference á1108 m / â52 m
Overnight backpack and sleeping bag for the night at the Goiserer lodge have to be carried by yourself
10th Day: Descent past the Iglmoosalm to Gosau ~7 km, 2-3 hrs, altitude difference á 46 m / â873 m
Luggage transport from Hallstatt to Gosau
Luggage pick-up in Gosau
Individual departure or additional nights
Day of arrival: daily
Rates for arrangement per person in €:
01.07. – 02.10.2022
***hotel/inn in double room (communal bunks in hut) 879,--
Supplement half board (3 course dinner in inns/hotels and partly also in huts otherwise 1 course hikers-meal in huts) 228,--
Supplement5 x single room (communal bunks in huts) 118,--
Additional night double room with breakfast 58,--
Additional night double roomin Hallstatt with breakfast 71,--
Additional night supplement for half board 18,--
Additional night supplement for single room 13,--
Mountain guide on request
Day of arrival daily
Local tax is extra to pay on spot in each accommodation (from € 1,-- to € 3,-- per person/per night)
Notes on staying at an Alpine lodge:
- You must bring your own sleeping bag and pillow case - a hut sleeping bag does not provide sufficient warmth. Blankets and pillowcases are NOT available in the cabins due to Covid19;
- Bring your own mouth/nose mask
- On most huts, card payment is not possible. Take enough cash with you for food and drinks.
- Due to their location, not all huts can offer running water, hot water or showers. In some cases there is also no flushing system in the toilets.
- Dogs on request; not allowed in the sleeping areas. Attended stay in the winter room possible, partly dog kennels available, extra costs to be paid on spot. In Austria there is a general linen and muzzle requirement!
Due to environmental reasons we recommend to arrive and depart by public transportation.
- Suitable for friends
- Suitable for couples
We recommend travel cancellation insurance:
The standard terms and conditions of the Salzkammergut Touristik GmbH apply in the current version.