© Photo: Oberösterreich Tourismus GmbH./Robert Maybach: Enjoy the view in Upper Austria
Enjoy the view in Upper Austria

Parish Church

St. Leonhard bei Freistadt, Oberösterreich, Österreich
  • All weather

The origins of the pilgrimage church of St. Leonhard date back to the beginning of the 12th century and is dedicated to St. Leonhard, the patron saint of animals. At the time the parish was founded (1337), there was undoubtedly already a larger church, which was probably a wooden building.
The presbytery most probably dates from the 15th century. The old parts of the west wall probably date from the 14th century. The building suffered badly during the Bohemian border wars.
The three naves were built at the beginning of the 16th century and completed in 1535.
The current altar dates from 1904 and was made by the woodworking school in Hallstatt. It is built in the neo-Gothic style.

The two side altars are in the Baroque style. On both altar tables there is a glass coffin with the skeletons of St Felix and St Clement from the catacombs of St Helena in Rome. The skeletons have been in the church in St Leonhard since 1746.

The pilgrimage church of St. Leonhard is located on the Mühlviertel Gothic Route.

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers
  • All weather

Suitable for wheelchairs: Not all of the legally stipulated ÖNORM are complied with. In principle, this object is suitable for wheelchairs and no assistance is necessary.


Parish Church
Pfarrgasse 1
4294 St. Leonhard bei Freistadt

Phone +43 7952 8206
E-Mail pfarre.stleonhard@dioezese-linz.at
Web www.stleonhard.at

We speak the following languages


powered by TOURDATA