As the largest church in Austria, the "New Cathedral", completed in 1924, offers space for around 20.000 people.
The construction of the neo-Gothic cathedral was already initiated in 1855 by F.J. Rudiger, then Bishop of Linz, and the foundation stone was laid in 1862. The building was designed by the Cologne cathedral builder Vinzenz Statz. The cathedral was consecrated in 1924. The height of the tower was limited to 134 m (as it was not permitted to surpass St. Stephen´s Cathedral in Vienna ). The cathedral can accommodate 20.000 worshippers and is also notable for its stained glass windows, including the famous "Linz Window" with scenes from the history of Linz (left front). At Christmas the crypt church contains one of the largest nativity scenes, measuring 12 m in length.
The the Reich Youth Association of German Catholics of Upper Austria mounted plaques on the entrance to the East Tower Chapel in 1934 in commemoration of Federal Chancellor Engelbert Dollfuß. Having outmanoeuvred Parliament in 1933, Dollfuß was responsible to a great extent for the Civil War; he was shot and killed in an attempted Nazi coup in July 1934. Inside the cathedral there is a monument to Franz Jägerstätter, who was beatified in 2007.
Mon-Sat 7:30 am-7 pm;
Sun, Hol 8 am-7 pm
Visits are not possible at special events and during church services.
Linz Linien: 1, 2, 3, 4 - Mozartkreuzung;
45,46 - Mariendom
Cathedral tours (only with advance booking): 1-hour cathedral tour, opportunity to climb the tower, Torchlight Tour, High Walkway Tour, Stained-Glass Windows Tour
Somewhat suitable for wheelchairs: Assistance is sometimes necessary. The measurements do not (fully) conform to the legally stipulated ÖNORM.